Re: Re: Re: A "phantom" partial?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark in Ohio on October 02, 2000 at 20:33:36:

In Reply to: Re: Re: A "phantom" partial? posted by tubagoo on September 28, 2000 at 10:33:01:

While I don't necessarily agree with the bore factor in getting those tones, I DO agree that they pop out great on the lil' Conn 12J I own. Some folks look down their nose at my occasional use of the lil' 3-banger (hey, it's easier to carry), but I've turned heads when folks wondered where those honest pedals were coming from!

I've noticed that you don't need to blow'em very hard at all, either.-- the fact that nothing else (at least in most band situations) exists down there makes them easily appreciated, especially if the chords on top of you are in tune. See Sean's comments on projection versus blowin' somewhere above this post.

As noted by most false-tone fans out there, these notes are great on most sousas. While there are books that explain the physics of the false note phenomenon, It still remains to be explained why it works more often on sousas than concert horns.

My theory is that the large bells on Sousies help to compensate for the 'missing' fundamental in these tones (yes, the actual fundamental is missing!-- you're fingering an overtone which permits your lips to buzz the pitch). VERY few concert horns (save those 20J's!) have a 24-26" bell.

At least one author (who I also disagree with on this one point) has asserted that false tones work better on horns with large bores. Of course our 12J & 5J experience proves otherwise!

My 2 yen-
Mark in Ohio

Follow Ups: