Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: euphs

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on September 29, 2000 at 19:31:43:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: euphs posted by Matt on September 29, 2000 at 18:12:37:

I agree with Ms. Vogt, that one can change the characteristic considerably by choosing from a range of Bach-like 6 1/2 Al up to Schilke-esque 52D2, and all of that is to the player's taste.

From another view, a "smoky" or "dark" tone quality with a euphonium does INDEED help distinguish it in a concert band from the tone quality of the trombones, french horns, and saxophones.

As almost an argument with my OWN statement (above): As much trouble as I have staying awake at some orchestra concerts (even occasionally when I am ON STAGE [sorry]), I have even MORE trouble retaining auditory interest at band concerts, due to the homophonic (overall "dark" or "smoky") tone characteristic and almost complete absence of any "shimmer" or "highs" in the sound. I guess this sort of supports Ms. Nancy's argument for the option of variation in the sound quality of an instrument, and not necessarily towards the lack of overtones.

Follow Ups: