Re: Re: Re: Re: Alexander Tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by A Guy in CA on September 29, 2000 at 12:45:09:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Alexander Tubas posted by Dave on September 28, 2000 at 23:58:39:

I have a CC tuba. When the kid next to me borrows it, the G on the bottom of the staff sounds flat when he plays it open. When he plays it 1-3 it sounds dead nuts on. That's in front of a tuner. That's not uncommon for a lot of people with certain types of CC tubas.
When I play the same tuba, open-valve the G is fine, no need for valves, also with a tuner. That's also not uncommon for a lot of people, with the same type of tuba!
When I play with an ensemble, sometimes it sounds perfect, sometimes it doesn't that is why I have valves, ears, lips, and a brain. Playing tuba is more than pushing buttons.
All that said, sure there are horns "that are not in tune with themselves", but you don't hear of too many people who destroy those purported "awful" horns though. Maybe rude old me is more inclined to give my personal experience more credit that something I read somewhere written by someone I don't know, but then, that's probably just me...

Follow Ups: