Re: Grade Level System vs. Canadian System

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bill on September 27, 2000 at 07:16:04:

In Reply to: Grade Level System vs. Canadian System posted by Ted on September 26, 2000 at 19:31:03:

Ted, Ken K. gave a very good example and description of the various grades in the one
to six grade scheme. As you can see, it doesn't exactly fit with what we do for some difficult music but it offers guidelines for a quick survey of music. A ten point scale might be better. I taught music in British Columbia for 14 years and was about as comfortable with the Toronto Conservatory grading as I was while being raised in Michigan and California on the 6 division ratings. But, while many TC grade 10 pieces are not nearly so difficult as the RVW, the RVW was a grade 10 when I saw the Tuba list those
many years ago. I would apply TC 10 point scale in a ratio of 2:1 to the six point scale and let the top float freely as in "Level 6 is above the grading system." I have many reasons for this not the least of which is the change in one set of euphonium solos
from grade 2 to grade 3 (6 point) by adding a top "g" instead of an "f" to the otherwise similar tune.

Follow Ups: