Re: Yikes

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by D.A. on September 22, 2000 at 16:38:30:

In Reply to: Yikes posted by Richard C on September 22, 2000 at 00:59:08:

Hey Richard, I think the best advice hear so far is "let the Band Director decide." I would think that in most cases seniority rules, that is, you are the older player, you get your choice of tuba before the next younger player does.
You may not want to read the rest of this post...
To the BBS; I've played Devil's Advocate before, and I'll do it again, so here goes...
(I'll make this short) A beginning player, although unable to use a better horn to its full potential, will certainly be hampered in her development by an inferior instrument, maybe leading her to quit band or worse. Whereas a better more experienced player would be able to surmount the inadequecies of the lesser tuba, and still manage to make a decent sound with it. Might it actually benefit the group more to have to have the better player use the lesser horn? It would certainly bring the extremes closer to the mean, and might encourage the younger player to more rapid gains, thereby making the section, and ensemble, stronger.
Just a thought, you know, I'd probably still give the better horn to the better player, but I wonder if the other way has any merit?
Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player.
MF

Follow Ups: