Old Meinl-Weston/Getzen

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by SD on September 22, 2000 at 12:52:03:

Hello All,

I have a couple of questions about a tuba that I used to play when I was younger that I might be able to acquire. It is an old Meinl-Weston BBflat recording tuba. The bell stamp says W.Meinl-Weston A Division of Getzen. On the lead pipe it says Made in West Germany. On the third rotary vavle it has the numbers 417 on it. These are the only markings on the horn. I was wondering if anyone might be able to tell me possibly its age, possible price range, and overall quality. It has some blemishes and scrathces on the bell. It needs a good overhaul wit the valves and slides. I really liked this instrument when I was young.

My second question is more of a music shop advice question. I was wondering if it would at all be feasible to make the horn a CC and add a fifth valve. I already play F and I would like to possibly buy the horn and convert it. Is this a wise decision? I would only use it for orchestral work because of its immense size. I am not trying to bag on BB flat tubas or anything....I was just wondering. Thank you in advance for any help.

Sean

Follow Ups: