Re: Chicago/Barenboim Symphonie Fantastique

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Scott Mendoker on September 18, 2000 at 09:48:49:

In Reply to: Chicago/Barenboim Symphonie Fantastique posted by Jarrod on September 17, 2000 at 21:19:05:

Gene Pokorny's a researcher. It was and still is a good lesson for both me and my students. He noticed that the bell parts - the real "liberty bell" sized ones that most professional orchestras own nowadays were split into 3 octaves. So, when he invited me to play, he sent me a part that had these octave displacements in them.

I played along with him - more than the standard 2nd tuba part - on the big blows. Then on the famous Dies Irae(s), I played down 1 octave and he played down an octave BELOW ME on F TUBA!!!? I remember him going up to Barenboim and telling him that we were going to try a little different approach. Barenboim said that he would let us know if he didn't like it. He actually loved it. He has tremendous respect for Gene (much deserved) and consults with him frequently. Anyhow, we listened to playbacks after every concert just to be certain that this was what Gene wanted. By the way, the other Berloiz tune also has 2 tubas with me playing second.

Later in that week during my lesson with Mr. Jacobs, he turned to me and said "So, I hear that you boys are doing things a little differently down the street!"I'm REALLY glad that he was smiling when he said that.

For those who care - Gene played a B&S PT-10 F and I played a YorkBrunner (mine not his).

Scott Mendoker

Follow Ups: