Re: summers: work or go to school?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck Jackson on September 16, 2000 at 15:05:53:

In Reply to: summers: work or go to school? posted by john on September 16, 2000 at 13:25:30:

Let's break it down:
1) Student loans are among the cheapest loans around. The interest rate, I think, hovers in the 7-8% range. You have alot of time to pay them back, usually at a decent monthly rate. I wouldn't let it scare you off.

2) Keeping ones chops up in the summers is hard if you are working, but you could use it as a time management training ground. Not everyone is going to have a full time playing gig right out of college and if you want to keep the chops happy, you need to organize your time so as to have time to practice. I might use the summer to plan an hour a day to work on things that you don't do well. One summer while working construction, I worked on flexibilty alot. I did other things, but I stressed that. I always found summers a good time for me to be the teacher and to really remember everything I was taught during the year. I would record myself once a week and critique it as I thought my teacher would and work on the things that I didn't like.

3) The most obvious option is to work and go to school in the summer. Get one of those non-music electives out of the way and take lessons. You probably would have ample time to practice and work.

Whatever your choice, practice your time management skills as well. Good luck!!!!!

Follow Ups: