Re: Is a New Mouthpiece Worth It?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on September 13, 2000 at 11:00:37:

In Reply to: Is a New Mouthpiece Worth It? posted by Matthew S. Smith on September 12, 2000 at 02:14:24:

A mouthpiece is worth what you pay for it if you feel it does the job you want it to do. It is very hard to recommend a mouthpiece to people without knowing some about there playing. I played a Bach 18 on F tuba (yamaha YFB-621S) and a Bach 7 on my CC (Mirafone 188-5U). I did this because I thought I would have a more consistent "rim shape" to contend with when switching between the two. However, I went back to a Shilke HII on the CC and if I had kept the F I would probably have switched to one of the Sheridan model mouthpieces. I know switch between a Dillon G3 and a TE "rose" style mouthpiece (Dillon bought). The G3 works well for an orchestral setting on my VMI 6/4 whereas the "rose' style work better in a band environment, especially when taking parts down an octave. My best advice is to get to the best music store near you with tons of mouthpieces, new and used, and spend some time with mouthpieces currently mentioned on the BBS. Also, Brasswind and I also believe Dillon's will let you have a two week trial on moutpieces (a fair restocking fee will be applied if you send it back). The main thing to remember is that all of those mouthpieces exist because we all have different lip and dental structures to contend with. Finding a mouthpiece can be a challenge at times, but also very rewarding. Good luck!

Matt G

Follow Ups: