Amati CC tuba report

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt Walters on September 09, 2000 at 13:55:42:

Hey Gang,
I stopped in at the Amati / Cerveny warehouse and played the Mark II version of the Amati ACB 631 5 valve CC tuba. Unlike the first which was in B natural, this one is truely in the key of C. They raised the leadpipe a bit, but 1 inch more would be better. Some info first. "CC tuba, 4//4 size, 4 piston valves and one rotary valve, front action, .720 bore, 19.5" bell, lacquer, 36.81" ht., 20lbs."
This horn is another bang for the buck champ that lists for $6000 and will typically sell discount in the low $3000 range (I found a small acid bleed and might be able to sell this one only for just less than $2995). Will a pro mistake it for a horn costing twice as much? Likely not. But it is a ONE thumbs up horn, especially to someone on a really tight budget. Not everyone needs or can afford a $6000 plus tuba.
What would it take to get a TWO thumbs up? In order of importance, my opinion only. Your preferences can vary.
1) shorten the 3rd valve tubing. Bottom line Ab (2&3) was 30 cents flat, slides in.
2) shorten the 4th vavle tubing. D and G below the staff were 10-20 cents flat. Liveable
3) lengthen and raise the leadpipe 1 more inch.
4) bottom line G was flat when played open. Perfect and well centered using 1&3. Some other notes are better in tune because of this. I'd live with it.
5) make 5th valve a flat whole step instead of the current flat 1/2 step. Though an in tune B natural can come in handy. A personal preference issue only.

The rest of the scale was fine and where you would expect. + or - 10 cents is in tune because with any kind of ear you will lip that.
Anyone wishing to get this nice new CC at a used tuba price can call me at Dillon Music (732)634-3399, or any of the other Amati / Cerveny Dealers under the SHOPS section of TubeNet. It can be arranged to be drop shipped right from the warehouse.

The discription is from Matt, the fellow BBSer. The short plug is from Matt the Dillon Music employee.
Matt Walters

Follow Ups: