Re: 6/4 tubas in midsize cars

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt Walters on September 08, 2000 at 16:09:45:

In Reply to: 6/4 tubas in midsize cars posted by Matt G on September 08, 2000 at 14:10:00:

Hey Matt,
I know exactly what you mean. I don't like big cars myself. So, I ended up with a Chevy Malibu. It will handle my Yorks's 19 1/4" bell in a gig bag for sure and it has a large opening so I can just drop the horn straight down in. Many cars have trunk space but minimal openings.

I know Consumers Reports didn't give it a high reliability rating, but except for an overly sensitive seat belt and one buzz, it has been flawless for 2 years now. Besides having maybe the largest trunk in it's class, it has a tighter turning radius than many other midsize cars. The car I had before was a Buick Regal that I got rid of after 1 year. I couldn't stand having to plan my turns a mile in advance because the darn thing had a turning radius like a truck.

Oh yes, months before I was ready to buy my Malibu, I took my tuba to the show rooms and eliminated a bunch of models. It is nice to have a trunk to get the horn out of sight instead of in the back of station wagons as I had prior to the Buick. With the split fold down rear seat option, I can get 3 Cerveny tubas in cases in my car. Comes in handy when I go to the warehouse and playtest the horns before taking delivery of them for the store.

Matt Walters

Follow Ups: