Re: Re: When was the last time....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by If I gave my name you might think I was braggin'... on September 05, 2000 at 17:41:06:

In Reply to: Re: When was the last time.... posted by Joseph Felton on September 05, 2000 at 00:03:11:

Athletes call it being 'in the zone'. I think there are times when you are sufficiently prepared that you don't have to think about the mechanics, and sufficiently inspired that you undistracted by other thoughts, you just think about the result you want and it happens. Our everyday speech is like that; when I want to speak a sentence, I have sufficiently prepared (by talking way too much for many years :) so that, once I have determined to say a certain thing, and I am able to say it. But few are inspired with words worth listening to!

Remember, this is the result of PREPARATION, not wishful thinking! When my kids marvel at someone's accomplishments, I repeat my 'success mantra' to them:
1) unusual God-given ability
2) years of practice
3) unswerving commitment to excellence.

I've rarely experience this in my musical pursuits, but is a tremendously satisfying experience!

So what's with the "can't look the audience in the eye" thing? I think it's a couple of things: musically, you expose yourself to your audience, but they have no way to reciprocate; so it's like you are up there naked, and they're all watching (and clapping). The other thing (stepping BRIEFLY onto my religious soapbox), I feel unworthy of applause that I receive for something that is largely the result of God-given ability. Even the work I've put in is using God-given time! And, of course, there's the euphoria that comes with success.

Great thread, Leland! I look forward to reading the experiences and thoughts of others!

Follow Ups: