Re: Re: Re: discouraged

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on September 04, 2000 at 19:33:49:

In Reply to: Re: Re: discouraged posted by jim on September 04, 2000 at 15:27:19:

My favorite recording of the Ewald #1 is by the Empire Brass. This is one of their first recordings, done on the Sine Qua Non label and, regrettably, is currently out of print. However, I recently bought a copy of the album on eBay so if you look hard, you might get lucky. Hopefully, someone will re-release this recording on CD. It is some of the most amazing brass quintet playing I ever heard. This recording also has the #2 and #3 Ewald quintets and the playing is exquisite on these as well.

As to your preparation, I would encourage you to remember two things about the work. First of all, get the right version of the music. The Robert King arrangement, though good if you have six players, isn't the original and you can't just have the tuba player play the baritone part and leave the tuba part out. If you do this, critical parts will be missing. Second, the work was originally written for all conical instruments (two cornets, Eb alto horn, euphonium, and tuba). Obviously, this is a challenge for the modern day trumpet and trombone players.

Best of luck with this work. It is truly a great one!

Follow Ups: