Re: Hypothetical Question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dave Zerkel on September 03, 2000 at 22:14:00:

In Reply to: Hypothetical Question posted by Curious on September 03, 2000 at 21:23:10:

Hi.

Not an unreasonable question, but one that is pretty hard to quantify.

I discourage incoming students to enter as performance majors. I do so, not because I enjoy shooting down people's dreams, but rather because I know that the job market is awfully tough. I know that there have been lots of previous discussions on this list about "following one's dreams" and "not selling out", and as a 22 year old, I might have said the same thing. I have changed my tune for many reasons, but I'll try to limit my discussion to the generic reasons.

As a professor, I'm not going to give you anything less in lessons if you are an education major, a biology major or an Underwater Botany major. My goal as a teacher is to make you play as well as you want to play. In fact, I find it refreshing to teach students who are really talented who aren't betting the whole kit and kaboodle on playing in the CSO. I'd feel much better knowing that you are preparing for a vocation where you are immenently employable. As a performance major, you are not the most marketable individual out there...in fact you are not especially qualified to do anything that will put bread on the table. Harsh....? Nope. Realistic.

If you play the lights off the tuba and are incredibly talented, if it is your wish, I'll accept you as a performance major. I promise that I'll be incredibly hard on you and constantly question your commitment to the profession. I'd also do that for you if you were an Ed major... if that is what you want.

I regret going performance for several reasons, but the most important reason is that I feel like I took the easy way out. I did not begin to challenge myself intellectually, because I stuck to what was cozy and comfortable. The mission in attaining a college degree is to broaden your horizons and to try to attain a mastery of learning. I feel like an intellectual midget with my cozy little performance degree from a conservatory...
largely because I chose NOT to be challenged.

I'd like you to think about why it is that you want to be a performance major. Really think. If you are ready to train like a championship athlete, to broaden your emotional spectrum like a poet laureate, and to refine your artistic vision beyond your years, then go for it. You will grow only as much as you are willing to work.

Sorry for the sermon!!

Good luck!

DZ

Follow Ups: