Re: Vintage Hirsbrunner horns?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on September 28, 1999 at 19:49:51:

In Reply to: Vintage Hirsbrunner horns? posted by Tim on September 28, 1999 at 00:51:13:

Anyone who has ever been to an instrument factory knows that all brass instruments, especially tubas, are "handmade". DESIGN EXCELLENCE and CONSISTENCY are the keys to success, and not how crude and possible inconsistant the manufacturing techniques selected are. If it were technically possible to robot-make a tuba, I would be extremely pleased to own one if it played better than any other tuba I had ever played.

The only tubas that are "ULTRA handmade" are TRUE prototypes (meaning the NUMERO UNO tubas of given designs). These must, by necessity, be made utilizing cruder methods due to the fact that production systems obviously have not yet been set up (with specialized tooling, etc.) for those models. The true challenge is to successfully and consistantly recreate successful prototypes utilizing consistant manufacturing methods.

Sorry to go off on a tangent and to fail to discuss your inquiry, but the term "handmade" is one of my minor pet peeves. Usually, I resist the temptation to take issue with it. Please forgive my moment of weakness, this time.

Follow Ups: