Re: Re: orch. ex. for audition

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on September 23, 1999 at 23:38:59:

In Reply to: Re: orch. ex. for audition posted by Art on September 23, 1999 at 16:58:12:

I have expressed more than once that I think that gorgeous legato ascending solo in the Prok. R. & J. is the most amazing orchestral tuba solo ever written. You might want to do the Hungarian March (for a sort high, continuous, and technical thing) and the Romeo legato solo (for a low and gorgeous musical thing).

The Meistersinger is good, but really only demonstrates technical prowess on that difficult (but not appreciated as such by the auditioner) trill, and the parts in the Fantastique are very significant but maybe too "start and stoppy" to be chosen in a very limited selection of "your choice" excerpts. The Mahler 1, too, is very significant, but is usually used by audition committees to ELIMINATE people, rather than to find out how WELL they can play (one of those "really-won't-show-off-your-strong-points" excerpts).

Again the Hungarian March with its technical demands and continuity, and the Prokofiev "Romeo" solo with its musical opportunity, I believe are a good pair of "auditioner chosen" excerpts.

If you can do a third one, the "Ride" certainly separates the men from the boys (boys, like the "Sam-I-Am's" and the "Get Real's", if you will ;^) .

I don't mean to criticize Art at all. I didn't have an idea for a pair of excerpts to choose until I read Art's post and considered his thoughtful choices.

Follow Ups: