Re: cerveny

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on September 22, 1999 at 22:36:04:

In Reply to: cerveny posted by T.Lathon on September 22, 1999 at 19:10:32:

If you're referring to the ACB-601, I own one and it is a marvelous instrument for the money. Mine is older, made before they offered it with 5 valves so I had to add the valve myself, but with some minor modifications it is every bit as much horn as a Yorkbrunner or Meinl Weston 2165. Since it is SO much cheaper than its competition, it is a very attractive instrument if you're looking for such a large tuba. I've had mine for almost 8 years now and it is holding together just fine. It plays very well in tune, much better than most tubas I've played on. To be fair, I have to say that I don't use mine regularly. I use mine as a specialty tuba for those really large pieces that require a specific type of sound. For example, I used it last season when we played the Prokofiev 5th. I don't think I would recommend it as a primary tuba but that is just my concept and opinion. If you intend to use a huge tuba as a primary, my advice is to check one out. You might just save yourself around $10,000.

You can check the BBS archives for several past discussions about the ACB-601.

Follow Ups: