Re: Re: Re: Re: Physics of mouthpieces and buzzing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bryan on September 13, 1999 at 02:10:23:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Physics of mouthpieces and buzzing posted by Jay Bertolet on September 12, 1999 at 23:06:08:

As both you and Alan are our there "doing it" my take is somewhat less weighty than either of yours. However, as you present two nearly opposite opinions, I'll weigh in.

I have heard several people with heavy weights, both manufactured and home made, and from the listener's perspective cannot discern any bennifit. The home made was created by choping one mouthpiece and placing it over the working piece (basic description), thus making going from regular to heavy easy. This gave us the best opportunity to test these side by side, as the same one is being used, only the mass is changed. Several people who applied the mass stated a change, most indicating the positive, however, the sound change was not noticable (at least to me).

If the players feel a bennifit, then it works. Even if this is only a mental thing, any improvement must be recognized. As for me personally, I am of the belief that the 'horn' begins at the bottom lobes of the lungs. Physical tension (whether in the face, chest, hands, feet) can do more to distort (break up) sound than any mouthpiece can ever correct. When I am really on top of the game and everything is working just right, I can create a sound on even my smallest horn to rival some of the best recordings I own, though admittedly this only seems to happen when I am alone and there is no one around to witness these harmonic-convergences of sound and horn! At these times, it is clear that the elusive sound I seek is inside of me, and not the creation of any mouthpiece engineer.

(time to switch to decaf!!!)

Follow Ups: