Re: 4/4 CC as the only instrument

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on September 02, 1999 at 23:45:00:

In Reply to: 4/4 CC as the only instrument posted by tim on September 02, 1999 at 20:21:39:

I stumbled skeptically upon the Marcinkowicz Helleburg series (H4,H3,H2, and H1) several years ago. I didn't bother fooling with them prior to that because I thought Joe M. was a bozo that only really made jazz trumpet mouthpieces.

I was astonished to discover a series of Helleburg-style tuba mouthpieces that finally ridded me of the last bit of that annoying "hhhhhhhhhrrrrrrrrrr" sound in my tone. Let's face it: The purpose of a Helleburg-style mouthpiece is to achieve a DARK tone, and "hhhhhhhhrrrrrrrr" is certainly not an ingredient of "dark".

The H4 is the shallowest of the four mouthpieces (about Bach 18 depth, but funnel-cupped) and the H1 is the deepest, a "true" Helleburg. All four have narrow and defined rims, and wide cup openings. I think that their secret to tone cleanliness is the transition area from the funnel cup to the throat.

I find the 4/4 Hirs. (a superb instrument, indeed) to lean a bit towards the bright side when it is pushed. Perhaps you would like to try an H1 on your instrument. Joe M.'s mouthpieces are certainly not in the expensive price range, either.

Follow Ups: