Re: Re: conductors

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by TubaRay on October 28, 2003 at 16:22:50:

In Reply to: Re: conductors posted by Kenneth Sloan on October 28, 2003 at 11:24:16:

Ken is absolutely right(he often is). In order for an ensemble to have any chance of success, there has to be some singleness of purpose. It is absolutely not a democracy.

I would like to defend band directors. Elsewhere in this thread they come under some attack. Certainly there are all levels of competence in this area. One must remember, however, that the conductor has to make a call using his best judgement. I feel much more comfortable under some conductors than I do others. I am certain all of you reading this post would agree. Nonetheless, for whatever reason, the director is the director. Those playing under that baton need to respond to the best of their ability. It is only way to have order in the ensemble. Also, remember that the strategy for making use of someone who cannot keep time is to hand him two sticks and call him a drummer. If that fails, you take away one of the sticks and make him the conductor.

Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters
San Antonio, Texas

Follow Ups: