Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Know any good D's?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on October 23, 2003 at 13:29:31:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Know any good D's? posted by K on October 23, 2003 at 11:00:07:

My point was that the path to good-sounding music does not have to go through all the knowlodge that you have collected. Yes, a person who can play according to a given arbitrary tuning system probably has the skills to play in another given arbitrary tuning system. But it might be possible to learn to make chords sound good without learning to play according to any arbitrary tuning system.

And it might be possible to learn to sound good in an ensemble by the aesthetic application of ears rather than the intellectual application of a large store of knowledge, such as knowing the purpose of a given note in a given chord in a given key.

Your point was that amateurs often take the tuning that comes with their instruments, bad as that may be. I agree. But I don't think we'll succeed in getting amateurs to learn all that other stuff. We might, however, succeed in getting them to sound good.

Rick "who can't center the needle on a tuner without looking at it, but who can hear when chords don't sound good" Denney

Follow Ups: