Re: For Lee Stofer

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee Stofer on October 23, 2003 at 07:49:10:

In Reply to: For Lee Stofer posted by Bruce E. on October 22, 2003 at 07:47:00:

Besides playing on the instrument to test it myself, I have had Michael Moore of the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra to play-test every Josef Lidl tuba that I have sold. The instruments have been quite consistent in quality and in playing characteristics. Mr. Moore compared the instrument favorably to his Conn 3J CC prototype that he bought from Arnold Jacobs. In fact, when the 3J was recently in the shop for repairs, Mr. Moore used the Lidl CC with the Symphony Brass Quintet, where it was well-received.
I find that the intonation is slightly better on the BBb model as compared to the CC, but that can also be said of Alexanders or just about any other tubas. The Lidl instruments are compact, relatively lightweight, and put out a good, healthy sound for a 3/4 size instrument. Quality-wise, I would rate them as comparable to Cerveny's best offerings. The three things that impress me most about this instrument are the sort-of Conn-like bell flare, the short-throw valve action, and the placement of the slides and leadpipe. 1st and 4th valve slides are readily accessible on top of the instrument, 2nd has a Hirsbrunner-like pull knob, and the 3rd slide is readily accessible on the back of the instrument. The nickel-silver leadpipe is as direct s possible, and is behind the 1st and 4th slides, protecting it from denting. Mr. Moore commented to me that this instrument had a most intelligent design, and that the leadpipe might well never receive a dent on these horns.
There are several of these instruments in service in the Atlanta area now. I see them twice a year ususally - once for annual cleaning-servicing, and at TubaChristmas ;^)

Lee Stofer

Follow Ups: