Re: Re: Big B flat Tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on October 22, 2003 at 11:10:34:

In Reply to: Re: Big B flat Tubas posted by 1291 on October 21, 2003 at 22:27:19:

I played the 1291, and I liked it well enough, though I much prefer my own instruments. Whether it is right for anyone depends on how they play and what they expect.

What is it about the 1291 that makes it especially suited to a community-band player of unspecified ability who wants a piston tuba larger than a Yamaha 641? To answer this question, we have to know the needs. Were I to attempt to lay out the needs, I would guess thusly:

1. Easy to get a big sound (whatever that means--it will differ for everyone).
2. Easy to get a clear sound.
3. Easy to play in tune (tied to 2).
4. Efficient, getting 1-3 above without the efficient air flow of a pro (i.e., an "old man's tuba").

The 1291 is pretty good in all these areas, except the last, it seems to me. Those who are enraptured by the 191 and the 1291 all seem to already have a good airflow and all want an instrument that feels as open as possible. Players like me who struggle with this might prefer something with a bit more resistance to work against. Frankly, I thought the 1291 sucked the air right out of me, just like the 191.

What are the alternatives? One is a vintage BBb tuba of somewhat larger dimensions, made back in the day when a little resistance was acceptable, and even an advantage. There are many choices, including various large Conns, Holtons, Martins, and so forth. In the 5/4 category, the Boehm and Meinl piston tubas are still among the best ever made, in my view.

Of instruments made today, there are wonderful 4/4 BBb instruments that give good results without pro-level ability, including the King 2341, the VMI 3301, and others like them. They aren't 5/4, but they might produce as much sound as a 5/4 for someone without a lot of efficiency, just because they are so much easier to blow.

And if the fellow wants to spend real money, there is the Willson 3100 and the Gronitz PBK. The latter is an unknown, but the PCK CC version is by all accounts wonderful. The Willson doesn't seem to require the air of the Miraphone, but it has a flaw that is fatal for me--it is quite difficult for me to hear or feel what it is doing, and I think that feedback is important for amateurs especially.

Rick "who likes the 1291 but who would never call it an example of an 'old man's tuba'" Denney

Follow Ups: