Re: Big Ten Music Schools Ranking

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JAC on October 21, 2003 at 15:33:27:

In Reply to: Big Ten Music Schools Ranking posted by Student on October 21, 2003 at 13:49:25:

Well, here's a shot out of left field: I didn't even go to a Big 10 school for undergrad (though I"ve taught at one since), but I did have Mark Moore as a teacher while he was still at the University of Southern MIssissippi. Not only is he a beast of a player, but he's also an excellent teacher, directly in the Jacobs line and willing to teach by example as well as plain ole teaching. I learned most everything I know from him, and his students' work at solo competitions speaks for itself (others, not me!).

So...I'd second the idea that nearly too many things should be taken into account to list/rank here. The teachers are all quality teachers. Each has strengths and weaknesses. The academic ranking of schools in the Big 10 should be taken into account as well, and would not match the list set forth a second ago. When you mix in academic reputations, academic and artistic resources, locations, and musical environments, you come up with one answer: visit! Plan a lesson, schedule a tour, etc. You'd get good tuba teaching at a lot of schools, but it would be a real drag to get to University X and find out the campus blows and you hate everyone *but* your tuba teacher.

JAC

Follow Ups: