Re: Meinl Weston 32

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David on October 21, 2003 at 04:47:41:

In Reply to: Meinl Weston 32 posted by Tim C on October 21, 2003 at 01:28:36:

Isn't the 4 valve model the "standard" model 30 and the 5 valve one a 32?

Warren Deck used to play a 32. In fact, it was one of the horns he was using when he won the Houston job and then the New York job. And he borrowed Mr. Roses' Holton to finish the win in New York.

The point being that either the 30 or 32 are good instruments. Sometimes the lower register can be a bit stuffy particularly below low F (124 fingering) and there may be a couple of other funky notes, i.e. the high f# and sometimes the top line Ab. Overall the horn tends to play with a very dark tone quality and will serve very well.

I had a model 30 (4 valve) and it was a great horn. Very well in tune and a great tone quality. I would guess a fair price would be in the $2500 range due to the age. Depends on inclusion of case or gig bag and overall condition of the horn, dents, dings, % of lacqer, etc.

Compared to the other horns you list, the MW tends to play darker with a very big sound. The Mirafone 186 is brighter, the 188 less bright due to the larger bell (the bore is the same as the 186). I'm not familiar with the B&S Perantucci's but would think they would play much like the MW. Newer horns will just cost more if money is a factor.

Good luck.

Follow Ups: