Re: Willson Euphoniums

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by js on October 19, 2003 at 13:08:24:

In Reply to: Willson Euphoniums posted by A on October 19, 2003 at 10:45:46:

Most are under the belief that the mouthpipe tube is larger in the 2950. In fact, it is exactly the same. Only the mouthpiece receiver is larger...which DOES effect resistance, because folks will be inserting larger-backbore mouthpieces in this instrument.

Differences: The only difference that I am sure of is that the bell flare diameter of the 2950 is larger. That being said, I've played several 2950 euphoniums, and tried very hard to do so with an open mind. They don't seem to sing as easily as a 2900. Indeed, I've replaced the "euro" shank receiver on my 2900 with a "large" shank receiver (a la 2950) on my personal instrument...and my instrument still plays like a 2900...so all I can deduct from my non-scientific observances (and also - only being a euphonium "doubler" as well!) that the bell on the 2950 is out-of-balance with the rest of the instrument (in my not-a-full-time-euphonium-player opinion).

You'll get posts from folks who own 2950's and LOVE 'em.

Hey, here's an ALERT for anyone who might be schmoozin'. Right now, possibly the VERY LAST BRAND-NEW FRONT-ACTION 4V compenating euphonium ("Marzan"-style) is available. Willi Kurath changed valve suppliers, and the new supplier isn't set up to do this (yet). These might be available again in the future, but it's certainly far from a "sure thing".

As to a 2950 - if you or anyone else is interested, I think there's one new one on the shelf at this time available for immediate shipment.

Follow Ups: