Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Eb Tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Real fun would be on October 18, 2003 at 17:04:57:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Eb Tubas posted by more... (more) on October 18, 2003 at 16:33:08:

if he one day surfaced as your son in law!

By the way: playing 2nd horn in Brahms 2nd just a couple of months after starting to work on my Conn 28D double was an experience for a lifetime. The two horn opening is marvellously written by a composer, who realised, that the valved horn was a reality, which he had to accept, but who none the less wrote his horn parts, so that they could be played on hand horn (of course I had played horn for some years, but that had been on a 5 valve single Hoyer Bb engraved B&S to circumvent the exclusive Hoyer-rights by another brass house).

The tubist of that performance played a 4RV large Hirsbrunner. He won't forget that performance either after making one of the pauses at the end an exclusive solo for himself.

Catching up to another current thread: A Vienna source tells, that Brahms wrote his tuba parts for the old small Vienna tuba. That tuba was not especially dark, as it was intended to form the bottom of the trombone section. The old German Konzertposaune was a very different animal from its contemporary French and British peashooters and also from a US bazooka like the Bach 36 (which now is considered smallish in symph contexts). Old German trombones had small mouthpieces, small bores, and oddly large bell diameters, sometimes 9.5" on tenors. And slides more suited for bodybuilding than for making music.

If my guess on the top comes out true, you will have to invite me to the wedding!

All the best

Klaus

Follow Ups: