Re: To Drum Corp or not to Drum Corp...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike on October 17, 2003 at 12:07:29:

In Reply to: To Drum Corp or not to Drum Corp... posted by Tuba Nerd on October 16, 2003 at 18:02:08:

What you get out of the summer experience depends on what you put into it and where you march. The first two years I marched I learned many bad habits from some bad teachers and I learned some good habits from a good teacher. The last two years I marched (another corps) I learned some great things from some great teachers. There are some great brass pedagogues that are teaching drum corps these days. Now 20 years ago there were a lot of misinformed teachers that were teaching bad habits, however there are only a few remnants of those days that are still involved in corps.

From my own personal experience, the last two summers I marched made me a much better player than if I had not ever marched. I had a horn on my face for several hours every day and I was working on producing a great sound all summer long. When I got back to college in August, my chops were always way better than the other guys who did landscaping all summer long. My tuba prof was telling the whole studio they should go march so they could develop the same chops I had.

I am a high school band director and I encourage my students to march.

Yes it's true that corps practice many, many long hours. Yes it's true that you will get your butt kicked. Yes it can be a great experience. Again, it depends on what you put into it and where you go.

Mike
-Crossmen Brass Staff 2001-present

Follow Ups: