Re: Re: moustache embouchure

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michael Grant on October 17, 2003 at 06:53:47:

In Reply to: Re: moustache embouchure posted by Personally, I like on October 17, 2003 at 01:06:02:

Years ago I had a full beard and mustache and never (at that time) noticed any problems with the facial hair and my playing. However, since shaving them off (I had a mustache .... more like a cowcatcher to be exact...for years before and after) and playing with a clean face, I find the response and sound is much better. In fact, my low register will not speak if I go 10 to 14 days without shaving. I like that "seal" made between my face and the mouthpiece. As for that irritating feeling, I use a Braun electric razor and I do not find it irritating at all. I cannot stand shaving with a blade. However, I recently tried one of those "3 blade" razors sent to me in the mail by Gillette and it was really nice. The blades are flexible so it glided along the face and the final result was a smooth shave. I still don't trust a blade (thus my own hand) and will continue to use my Braun.

Now, with that all said. I am a much better player now than I was years ago and in conclusion will say that years ago when I had my full beard, I probably had poor response and a terrible low register (this is a fact). So the facial hair did not play as much a part as did the fact that I was still developing as a player. I hate to shave but love to play the tuba more. If you ever see me with a full beard, you will know that I have given up the latter. As Andy stated he plays fine with a full beard as do many fine tubists. Record yourself both ways (or have your teacher listen) and hear what the final result is for you.

My .2 cents.

Follow Ups: