Re: Leaning forward when playing tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Frank Rosenau on October 16, 2003 at 22:26:34:

In Reply to: Leaning forward when playing tuba posted by Jacob on October 15, 2003 at 15:14:08:

This one time? At tuba camp? I was told by a highly respected professional that leaning forward into the horn can constrict your chest and therefore interfere with your ability to take in air.

It was suggested that it is better to sit up straight and lean the tuba back to you. For a variety of reasons, it often feels easier for me to lean forward into the horn, but whenever I'm in a situation where I need more air (this happens a lot, unfortunately) following this method helps.

By the same token, reaching over to grab the first valve slide can also constrict your chest and interfere with your ability to take in air. I saw another highly regarded performer use what seemed like an awkward posture to get to his first valve slide, but I now understand that it aided his breathing.

Ya gotta do what's confortable, but be aware that if your forward posture interferes with your need to take in air, it's a problem.

My somewhat contrary 2 cents.

Follow Ups: