Re: Military Audition Help

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom McGrady on October 16, 2003 at 21:42:49:

In Reply to: Military Audition Help posted by Josh K on October 16, 2003 at 08:59:27:

Scales are 10% of the audition, 40% prepared piece and then 50% for the sight-reading. The final grade is based on a 4.0 grade scale with a 2.7 to graduate the 6 months of school after of course you have graduated basic training.

To get accepted to one of the military bands you must see a recruiter first then schedule an audition. To be successful and get accepted, just know your major scales, hopefully your minor, and a solo. If you don't know your minor scales don't loose any sleep over it, it's not hard to get in, you will know them by the time you graduate the school. A talented HS tuba player can get in provided he/she is willing to work hard and practice their a$$ off. As far as sight-reading goes, they are looking for someone who can play rhythm's correctly with dynamics, (don't stop because you missed a note, learn to fake it).

Here is the real secret. Go to a 4-year college, take out as many student loans as possible over the next 4 years (25 - 35k) and bank the money, do not touch it, let it grow. After you graduate, join the ARMY, they will pay back all your student loans over your first 3 years of your enlistment. That money you banked has now grown for 7 years, do the math, and it is all yours. This is very true, they paid back 25k for me.

Tom McGrady
Former Tuba Instructor '92-'97

By the way, I am still looking for a good inexpensive CC. Email me if anyone has a good leed.

Follow Ups: