Re: BAT Mouthpiece Question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark Preece on October 14, 2003 at 03:06:47:

In Reply to: BAT Mouthpiece Question posted by Kenny Jay on October 13, 2003 at 20:45:16:

I think there have been some confusions regerding large mouthpieces. Generally speaking, there has to be a need for maintaining the fundamental in the harmonic series - meaning the core of a note - no matter what the size of the instrument. Therefore, as a general rule, try to think - small horn = larger mouthpiece. Larger horn = smaller mouthpiece. This may seem odd to some of you, but please do not think that a big horn + bug mouthpiece = big sound, because you are sorley mistaken. It may sound big to you when you are next to the horn, but I can assure you that it does not from the middle of the hall, and the sound does not project the same as if you were maintaining the core of the sound on a note. If you are concerned about not being able to pedal as easily on a smaller mouthpiece, try to get one with a larger diameter - or you can also think to yourself... "well at least I now know what I have to improve on!"

Hope this helps.

Follow Ups: