Re: Any thoughts on this horn up for auction

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bonde on October 09, 2003 at 18:11:04:

In Reply to: Any thoughts on this horn up for auction posted by Mike on October 09, 2003 at 14:18:50:

Hi Mike,

Some thoughts...I have a similar "stencilled" horn from Europe with an "American" sized bell as this horn. It has a tremendous sound and it's intonation is quite good. It has been my experience that Stencilled horns can and did come from a number of different manufacturers. While I agree with the prior post that this horn is most likely not a Cerveny, I do know that Walter Sear did stencil Cerveny's. All the Cerveny/Sear horns I've seen were rotary horns similar to the Cerveny 681. I have a fondness for and collect certain Stencil makers. Some horns are outright crap because they had a poor manufacturer make horns for them, others are gems. One stencil maker I collect has as many makers as horn models - some are nice horns - others junk. All that said, if the horn IS what it proports to be (other than the Cerveny thing) it may be a decent value. See if the seller will allow a trial period.

Good luck!

Bonde
Bondejohn(AT)yahoo.com

Follow Ups: