Re: Re: Re: Big BBb tubas?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim Andrada on October 09, 2003 at 02:03:44:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Big BBb tubas? posted by Chuck(G) on October 08, 2003 at 21:30:01:

Do you have any idea what year yours is? I know mine was bought new by its original owner a few years before WW II. It has a 24" bell. I've seen photos of the 30" bell and as I recall you could set the horn down flat on the bell and the body would stick up at a 30 degree angle.

Is yours front action or top? I've seen a couple of 4V front action Martins and they were also lovely horns.

I was hoping to have mine restored this fall, but it may have to wait as we need to re-roof the house first. Priorities, priorities!!!

I took a chance and bought it sight unseen and it was in a bit rougher condition than I had thought from the pictures, but it pleasantly surprised the heck out of me when I tried it. I'd been expecting something more like the Conn. I almost think I could be happy with the Martin as my main horn, three valves and recording bell and all. The first time I took it to rehearsal we were doing the band arrangement of the Grieg concerto and I think the tuba part mostly varied between ppp and p and it was no problem at all.

Really nice horn.

Follow Ups: