Re: Re: Hang a Tuba on the Wall?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dennis Morris on October 08, 2003 at 12:12:38:

In Reply to: Re: Hang a Tuba on the Wall? posted by harvey wall-hanger on October 08, 2003 at 11:30:00:

I'll add my endorsement to the shelf idea. We had the same setup at college and it worked great.
Ours was free-standing but it could have been mounted to a wall. The bottom shelf had an oval cutout a little smaller than the bottom bow, so the bottom bow could rested in this cutout. The upper shelf cradled the bell just a little bit above the leadpipe as described. No straps needed, just put your horn in the rack and walk away. I don't remember any padding but it didn't seem to hurt our horns as it was.
Our setup had another set of shelves above the bottom set, so you could store 2 horns in the same vertical space -- a "double-decker" so to speak. It still fit in a spare practice room, so presumably under an 8-foot ceiling.
We also found that we could store music, mouthpieces etc. on the shelves between the horns.
A skilled person could build one in an hour or so, out of a couple of sheets of plywood and a few 2x4s. Probably less than $50 in materials.

HTH,
Dennis

Follow Ups: