My new MW Bariton toy

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mary Ann on October 08, 2003 at 09:34:53:

Yesterday I received the MW rotary valved Bb Bariton (euph) that I got on that auction site recently. It is an interesting little instruemnt; it looks like the little brother of my MW 182 F tuba, and also really similar to Miraphone tubas, but pint-sized. I can't tell how old it is; the bell is slightly wavy to the touch at one point, and some small dings etc, but overall it appears to have been well cared for. A nice addition to my growing collection. The difference between me and Rick Denney is that I want one of _everything_ but he seems to pretty much limit himself to tubas. I still need a good cornet...like a Bach Strad shephard's crook in silver lacquer....

The bariton has a somewhat lighter sound than my King piston euph, and is more resistant too. The low F is very stuffy, similar to the low C on my F tuba. I'm not going to try to switch Bydlo over to it at this late date (concert in a week and a half) but do expect to start using it in the concert band I play in, which has a whole lot of fast notes that just don't work for me with pistons.

Mary "just couldn't resist the cute little guy" Ann

Follow Ups: