Re: Besson Prestige/Willson/Yamaha euphonium

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alan Herold on October 06, 2003 at 15:00:29:

In Reply to: Besson Prestige/Willson/Yamaha euphonium posted by A on October 06, 2003 at 14:32:29:

You should also put on your list the Besson 967 and both Yamaha's. Hirsbrunners and the Meinl 451 are good horns in the right hands.

What I think you need to do is try out these horns a few times over a period of a year or so. Try them out at music educator conferences, tuba conferences, and at stores. Over that period of time one of these will probably stand out to you as "The One" for you. The horn will pick you, not the other way around. If you're in good shape and are playing well, you should be able to gravitate towards one each time you play them.

The Besson 967 chose me. I keep trying horns at every conference I attend, and I still like mine the best. For what you (or your folks) are about to spend on a horn, you want to be damned sure you're getting what suits you, not what brand you think others will respect and be in awe of.

One more piece of advice... listen to recitals of different artists and pay attention to the horns they play. If you like a particular artists sound, then check to see what other professionals play that brand and listen to them as well. If you like the sound of that particular brand of horn, then that may be the way you want to go.

Follow Ups: