Re: Re: Re: Differences in All-State Tryouts by Stat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dean on October 03, 2003 at 13:22:12:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Differences in All-State Tryouts by Stat posted by David on October 02, 2003 at 17:42:17:

Congratulations to your son!

I suppose that mass-all-state auditions would be a NIGHTMARE in Texas, California, Pennsylvania, and any other larger-than-average state... I just feel bad for the kids with HUGE talent, and MORE than qualified to make all-state, but cannot because of this system.

Because all regions are equally represented in all-state, the system is not fair. For example, in PA, I believe there are 6 regions... All-State accepts 6 euphoniums--1 from each region. Now, in PA, the region containing Pittsburgh, and the region containing Philly have the highest percentage of talented high-school musicians. What happens then? Well, the 2nd chair in the Pittsburgh region DOESNT go to all-state, but he/she is a MUCH better player than the 1st chair from NE PA, who gets to go to all-state....

By the way, this happenned to me.. Not too big a deal now, but at the time, I was slightly annoyed.. :) I can't help it the euph player in my region was a freakin monster!

Follow Ups: