Re: Differences in All-State Tryouts by Stat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike on October 02, 2003 at 23:31:27:

In Reply to: Differences in All-State Tryouts by Stat posted by Tuba Dad on October 02, 2003 at 17:05:50:

In Iowa, we have six different districts. On the last Saturday of October, auditions are held in six towns, where two tubists are picked for the Band, and two of the districts pick one tubist each for the orchestra. The contestant plays six to eight lines of any prepared solo, parts of two Blazhevich etudes (Nos. 21 and 25 this year), then turns over a card that has two major scales. You play these two scales, sixteenth notes at MM 88, then pick another major scale and then play a chromatic scale. The All State Band, Orchestra and Chorus then do a weekend of rehearsals culminating in a concert Saturday night before Thanksgiving, performing at the Iowa State University Hilton Coliseum, which being where ISU's Big 12 Basketball teams play, is the WORST place to play. But it has to be big enough to hold everyone. The band directors in this state can't agree on another method that will result in smaller bands, since then urban areas will probably dominate. I might add that I myself made the All State Band 33 years ago, and this is exactly the same method they used in 1970.

Follow Ups: