Re: Differences in All-State Tryouts by Stat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kenneth Sloan on October 02, 2003 at 22:58:38:

In Reply to: Differences in All-State Tryouts by Stat posted by Tuba Dad on October 02, 2003 at 17:05:50:

In Alabama, there are 8 Districts. For most instruments (including tuba & euph) the District audition *is* the All-State audition.

There are 4 "All-State" bands. One for "junior high" (grades 7-9 are eligible, I think). For that band, the top player from each District goes to All-State and audition again there for chair placement only (so...you have an 8-player section). For trombone, it's the top 2 - and you get a 16 player section.

The other 3 bands are the "high school" bands (grades 9-12 are eligible). Here, the top player in each District is placed into the top band, the 2nd player from each District goes into the second band, and the 3rd player goes into the 3rd band. For trombone (for example) it's 2+2+2. Again - the auditions at All-State proper are strictly for chair placement.

There are also District Bands (this seems to vary from district to district). The top (some number - I'm not sure) players are invited to the District Band, and (I think) chair placement there is strictly determined by the first audition.

Some players play in both the District and the All-State bands; some skip the District Band if they are going to All-State.

Note that it's theoretically possible (some say it's more than theoretical) for a particular District Band to be stronger than any of the All-State bands.

Follow Ups: