Re: Re: Bad idea #6706

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jeff Hicks on October 02, 2003 at 10:08:31:

In Reply to: Re: Bad idea #6706 posted by Rick Denney on October 02, 2003 at 09:20:15:

In this age of competitions and the overinfluence of DCI many band directors have lost touch with what they should and should not put on the field. They do not care about the Friday night football game. This is just more or less a dress rehearsal for the competitions the following day. I recently overheard two directors talking and one said that his idea for marching band was concert band on the field. I did not say anything but was rather dismayed. I thought that particular idea was very bad because the band directors were then discussing why they get very little support from their communities. I wanted to scream at this point but kept my trap shut. Maybe someday they will get it. Marching band is not for its original purpose anymore which was to entertain the crowd. Now it is about going to the state competition and getting a superior ratiing with some technically correct but albeit very boring performance. Boring at least to the poor people in the stands for a friday night football game.

Follow Ups: