Re: Re: Symphony helicon

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kenneth Sloan on November 01, 2002 at 01:08:42:

In Reply to: Re: Symphony helicon posted by Lee Stofer on October 30, 2002 at 08:27:22:

Lee,
Yes, this is the same "Symphony helicon" discussed further down the board. It's a very old Eb that has had quite a bit of work done to it. The most common guess from those who have seen pictures is that it is a Wurlitzer (although there are many other guesses!). It is now mechanically very sound, but the last restoration involved retro-fitting a modern King sousaphone neck. With one bit, I can achieve an acceptable playing position - but I like the playing position a whole lot more without the bit. Alas, without the bit, none of my mouthpieces fit.

Intonation is not my strong suit, but even I can notice the quirks. Some are no doubt my fault (and I think that these are improving). I'm becoming slowly convinced that Klaus was correct when he guessed that most of the problem is due to a flat 2nd partial.

For now, it's serving it's purpose (providing me with an instrument to learn Eb fingerings). Eventually, I'll want to address *both* the issues of "historically correct" appearance *and* the possibility of improving the intonation. If you will be in Carrollton again (in April?) you may see it there.

I have noticed one benefit of spending some time on this antique Eb - it makes me feel oh so much more secure when I take out my YBB-621S.

Arbans...one more time...from the top

Follow Ups: