Re: Vibrato on Euphonium ... Comments please

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chris S on October 31, 2002 at 21:39:15:

In Reply to: Vibrato on Euphonium ... Comments please posted by Euph Teacher on October 30, 2002 at 12:24:03:

Well, first of all I am a high school Euphonium player and I am on my way up as I like to think of it. I work hard and am devoted to furthering myself on my instrument of choice. I do believe that the use of vibrato is a good thing particularly when playing a solo. I do frown on players who use vibrato in a band or concert setting as it changes the pitch of the note enough to cause waves between other members of the section. However, when I am playing a solo I use vibrato frequently. I usually play the note on pitch and then bring in vibrato for a sort of half and half variety but will also use no or all vibrato if it suits my fancy. It depends on how you interpret the music. I know of two types of vibrato that work well without changing the air stream, thus ruling out diaphragm vibrato. I use jaw vibrato but more frequently lower lip vibrato. I learned vibrato this way and I like the way it sounds. I do it by "wiggling" the lower lip back and forth by flexing the chin. It takes some time to develop the muscle in the chin as to where you can do it on demand and with a good sound but it is personally my favorite form of vibrato. Remember, too many additions can ruin music, so interpret it for yourself. Good luck.

Follow Ups: