Re: US vs Brittish band 'cultures'

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by GP on October 30, 2002 at 23:27:28:

In Reply to: US vs Brittish band 'cultures' posted by Tim Kelly on October 30, 2002 at 19:54:33:

Many wind players that are serious about classical music don't march or march due to school requirements (and only do the minimum to get by). Others are serious about marching and performing in a group that mainly does marching. You see these examples at universities all over the place. There is some cross over, so some people do both and can do both quite well.

U.S. Military groups that you're likely to hear from a recording will be mainly concert (or jazz) type groups that march out of necessity, and only when they have to. They are mainly sit down groups that perform for whatever job they are needed for. These are the ones in Washington D.C, New London, CT, Ft. Meade, MD, and West Point, NY. The US Army Field Band, for example, marches once every four years, at the Presidential Inauguration.

I am being VERY general here.

Other U.S. military bands, depending on their duty, can do mainly concert band, mainly marching band, or can mix it up. They pretty much all do both. Military bands pride themselves on their diverse abilities and being able to do many styles back to back. As to whether this is obvious to the listener, I really doubt it. The groups draw from the expertise of people that are masters in their craft. For example, the drum major may know a lot about marching and will lead the band may not know much about concert band or brass quintet. He'll be a leader in the marching band, and a follower in the other groups. Same goes for guys the other way around. Now, they don't rehearse these bands at the same time, so their focus is on one thing at a time. So, the reason I doubt there will be a noticeable effect is because they focus on perfecting each individual style at different times in different circumstances.

I was VERY General, and may have been off the subject a little, but I'm sure someone will get more specific (and correct me) in one area or another and you can piece it all together!

Follow Ups: