Re: Vibrato on Euphonium ... Comments please

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brandon Jones on October 30, 2002 at 20:00:40:

In Reply to: Vibrato on Euphonium ... Comments please posted by Euph Teacher on October 30, 2002 at 12:24:03:

I use 'throat' or 'jaw' vibrato for a couple of reasons. First of all, it's how I hear music in my head. I cannot hear sound without vibrato. I believe that you should always 'sing' through your instrument, especially euphonium. Also, I believe that the air stream should stay constant and there should be a powerful stream of air constantly going through the instrument un-interrupted. If you use the 'diaphram' vibrato, that cannot happen. Everyone does it differently, and if I had to model my vibrato to anyone else's, I'd say that I really like Steve Mead's vibrato and his concept of it. So beautiful. Very much a 'cantabile' type of sound and vibrato. Just my opinion though. If it's working for you and it's comfortable and does not interfere with anything else, stick with it. Remember though, the SOUND is what's important. If the vibrato gets in the way of the sound, it's wrong. It's just a 'spice' to the sound. That's all.

Follow Ups: