Re: Re: Finding an Eefer

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Barry Guerrero on October 29, 2002 at 20:26:39:

In Reply to: Re: Finding an Eefer posted by Scott Norberg on October 29, 2002 at 18:36:18:

Scott,

I test played the Gronitz Eb at Lowbrasswerks (Tony Clements). Since then, Tony has sent that horn back because nobody wanted to buy it. The main problem is that it has a rather low, squat, pancake flanged bell. The horn played quit well, although the high range was actually a bit easier on my old Besson eefer. The low range was very good on the Gronitz. The top space "G" was rather flat though. To my tin ears, the tone of the horn was slightly bright and "shouty". I liked the Gronitz PCM and PCK CC tubas much, much more. I haven't tried their F tubas yet, but hear real good things about them.

Anyway, the 5th valve is configured to sound the tritone low "A"-natural, and that made the low range fingerings a lot easier. There's also real easy access to the second valve slide. It was a rather comfortable horn to play, and the Gronitz people told me they had basically been designed it to spec. for the Swedish military brass bands. Maybe they were pulling my leg or something.

Between the Gronitz Eb; Besson 983; and Willson Eb, I actually like the 983 best. However, nobody's going to confuse the 983 as an ersatz 3/4 CC tuba. It's truly a bass tuba, but a rather versatile one, I believe.

Barry Guerrero

Follow Ups: