Re: Re: Re: Eb fingerings

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on October 27, 2002 at 13:18:13:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Eb fingerings posted by trans-poser on October 27, 2002 at 12:54:14:

And one done all the time by symph horn players, up- and downwards.

Also done all the time by band horn players, but only downwards.

Transposition is just a matter of getting the very idea. Made very much easier by a profound understanding of our diatonic notation system.

However there are different transposition methods. I move the reading at an eye level, others move the sound at an ear level. And then there are those, that create themselves a few fix-points and then play the rest by intervals.

The profound understanding of our notation system is best acquired by playing scales in all keys on a regular basis. Writing these scales down doesn't hurt either.

Transposition experience is very dependent on the circumstances, where one have done transposition. I have very few problems with transposing in treble clef, as I have done that extensively on cornet, trumpet, Bb, F, and Eb horns plus TC trombone and baritone/euph.

However I was severely challenged, when I had to read from Bb bass clef books, when I sat in with a Belgian band. I managed, but got very tired.

Klaus

Follow Ups: