Re: Re: Conductor vs. Musician salaries

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on October 25, 2002 at 12:22:31:

In Reply to: Re: Conductor vs. Musician salaries posted by Mike on October 25, 2002 at 11:57:58:

As a former representative (shop steward) for the teachers union in my country, I would like to know about the workload of these musicians. They certainly could not play 160 concerts a year with 40 different programmes. When should they earn the the support for their living costs?

I am aware, that the number of duties is set a bit high, as the orchestras with such schedules have musicians for more than the needs of an orchestra of "average" size, so that one could say, that they in a way have given some of their extras tenure.

On the other hand the provincial orchestras in my country, sized from about 65 to 75 members, regularly join forces to be able to perform the extraordinarily large pieces by Wagner, Strauss, Bruckner and so on. In two certain orchestras the orchestras, that they join up with, are from Sweden and Germany respectively. What I have of these collaborations, has been very good. Only there can be some problems with logistics, when choirs bring the combined number of performers up in the above 500 range.

Our pro symph orchestras all are with full year payment for musicians with tenure.

Klaus

Follow Ups: