Selling a large piston CC tuba in TN $4k

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Marty Neilan on October 21, 2002 at 12:51:02:

Well guys, I am thinking of selling my beloved tweaked / customized Mirafone 1290 CC. This is a very large 4/4 or smaller 5/4 instrument depending on what you want to call it. It is about the same height as a 186 but has a bell over 19 inches in diameter and MUCH larger branches. The leadpipe is short and goes straight into the .770 valveset.

This was one of the most intune playing 1290's made, and I have had Lee Stofer do a lot of tweaking on it to make it a KILLER large horn. Among his work was cutting the fifth slide to a flat wholestep and making it very open blowing, tweaking the pistons, and disassembling the fourth slide tubing to make if blow even more free down low. The low register on this horn is VERY free blowing and the middle register is equally huge. This horn will neither back up nor break up under too much air. It will play as big as you can make it. The sound is very American, with just a little bit of German zing and projection thrown in. This horn is not for wimps, unlike a 186 it does take some air to blow and works best with a medium-large to large mouthpiece.

Since being 'Stoferized', the horn plays in tune with mimimal slide pulling. The infamous 1290 high Ab slots perfectly as 1-5. I have had a previous repairman do some unique slide pulls on the first and fourth valves. They can be worked with the hand resting on the top bow OR worked with the left hand holding the horn in the middle of the bach near the valveset, a more comfortable position for us shorter people. When the pulls are inverted in that position, the second valve slide has also been rotated to make it accessable. Like I said earlier, very minimal slide pulling is needed on this horn since the 'Stoferization' of it.

The horn has several quarter sized dents in the bell that can EASILY be rolled out, one from a piano that jumped out and attacked me in a tiny practice room and the other two from an impatient toddler with a full 16 oz juice bottle. There is also a half dollar sized dent in the bottom bow that in no way affects the sound or tuning. The finish does have a noticeable wear and some scarring from the numerous work performed on it and the use of it, but the horn still makes a very nice appearance. The rotor and stainless steel pistons work flawlessly, and the slides are smooth and well aligned. Pics are available at the link below, click on the individual pic to blow it up. In the pics the slide pulls are set up for the over the top, the extra rod and the inversion for the middle hand position are not pictured yet. I will thrown in a well used but still functional Alteri gig and all the air you need to play it for free.

Why am I selling????? Because this is a BIG horn with a BIG sound, and right now I need a smaller horn with an emphasis on quintets and above the staff recital playing but that can still handle the occasional small orchestra gig. If I could afford a few horns, I would certainly keep it. I am asking $4,000 American dollars firm. FIRM. The only catch (right now) is that I WILL NOT SHIP THE HORN. The horn and I am in beautiful Cleveland, TN,which is near Chattanooga. If you want to come try it out I will put you up in my apt for the night (couch, sorry the wife won't give up the bed for you) and cook you the best dinner you had in a while. You can playtest the horn in some of the large rehearsal halls at Lee University to get an idea of the immensity of the sound. I will consider a trade + $500 cash (me giving to you) for a large valveset 2145 or similar tuba.

Email me for more info or to set up a time to talk on the phone, just don't ask what I already told you. More pics can be taken if necessary.

Marty Neilan
martyneilan(AT)yahoo.com

Follow Ups: