Re: Re: of copywrites and registered TMs

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by AshG on October 12, 2002 at 12:45:24:

In Reply to: Re: of copywrites and registered TMs posted by Tony Clements on October 06, 2002 at 16:13:40:

[quote]UBAFestŪ is a registered trademark. No contract, no fees, no standards, no speeches, no requirements. Any questions? [end quote]

Sure, I've got a question. Why not just let groups perform and not have to worry about stacks of paperwork and tracking down common phrases to see if they're copyrighted? I bet ensemble directors and studio teachers would rather be rehearsing than looking up every word in the dictionary and applying for copyrights. I bet this email has probably violated several copyrights and patents already.

I am ashamed to live in such a litiguous, sue-happy society. I can understand how one would be protectionistic about a logo or drawing, but to copyright a string of letters into an oft-used combination sinks my stomach. Oh yeah, I forgot... This is from the same country where Coca Cola has copywritten Santa Claus and (I still can't get over this one) Jesus.

Give people some credit. Let them perform. Let them share the joy of music (whoops, that phrase is copyrighted too) without having to jump through more hoops than a circus animal. If someone calls their performance TUBAFest, then sure I see some reason for concern. But if a group of music lovers from Tiger U want to have a TubaFest (or Tuba Fest, or Tubafest, et al.), don't go sue happy and give some lawyers a catharsis. There's too much music to share and too little time in life to spend all of it in court wrangling over an arrangement of 26 letters, 9 numerals, and around 15 punctuation marks. live. Play. Share.

Follow Ups: